Thursday, March 5, 2009

AFC Wimbledon

I'm a bit of a football tragic (as in, the world-game type of football, the one some countries call "soccer"), and like many football nutters, I have a wishlist of games I want to see.

I've been going over a list of football clubs around the world that I *really* want to see play at their homeground someday. Amongst your usual Manchester Uniteds, Barcelonas and of course the club I actually support Portsmouth FC are also a few others like St Pauli in Hamburg, Germany; Japanese club Shimizu S-Pulse; and AFC Wimbledon.

AFC Wimbledon are a really interesting story. Born out of the ashes of the original Wimbledon FC, based in the middle of London, when that club folded and relocated itself to a completely different part of the country (becoming Milton Keynes Dons, or MK Dons for short), the fans rebelled in the most spectacular way. They not only formed their own club, the now rising AFC Wimbledon, but they sued the owners of MK Dons, they demanded back the trophies won by Wimbledon FC, organised boycotts of MK Dons games, and in general embodied the whole "Crazy Gang" spirit that made the original Wimbledon such an awesome club.

I have no idea why I've been thinking about this fantastic club lately, but good on 'em for just being. Here's hoping they'll make the Football League soon (maybe in the next two years? It's possible, and they have big shoes to fill in the old Wimbledon, who had a similar meteoric rise through the football league in the 80's :)

AFC Wimbledon Website

Blue Square South Conference Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,

New blog, so please consider logging in to let me know who you are (especially if you like my stuff)